Man dies in an old-age home fire

Sizamile Old Age Home block of flats where Raymond Silulami lost his life while asleep.

Senior citizens at Langa’s Sizamile Old Age Home are still in shock after one of their residents died in a fire on Sunday night.

Raymond Silulami, 60, died after flames engulfed one of the rooms.

Three other men escaped the fire but according to police, one man is in a critical condition in hospital.

Captain Nondumiso Paul said police have opened a case of arson.

They said Mr Silulami had apparently fallen asleep while smoking cigarettes.

Residents at the home said they want the facility to be upgraded and fear that another tragedy is waiting to happen.

Vukani could not reach Leticia Vaphi who is reported to be helping to run the facility.