Struggling to get grant back

Vivian George, Gugulethu

Does the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) have an ombudsman?

I applied for a disability grant in Cape Town at Guguletu (Sassa), and submitted all the documents they required from me, including a doctor’s report and South African Revenue Services (SARS) statement.

The investigation that Sassa is claiming to be busy with for four months now is for a disability grant I received for a few months in 2008,
even though I was employed.

However, I stopped taking the grants since that year and paid back to Sassa.

For the record, the South African government, the Western Cape government, and Special Investigating Unit can all be in a position to supply these documents for proof.

I am writing this because I am seeking help as an unemployed man living with a mobility disability caused by TB meningitis that affected me when I was 8 years old.

Life is too tough, can somebody refer this to any relevant government departments.

The office is not processing my disability grant. I am struggling now, at my age I won’t get a new job any time soon, especially with a disability.

Vukani sent this letter to the communications manager at the South African Social Security Agency, Shivani Wahab, for comment.

At the time of going to print we had not received a response.