Report drain leakages

If we don’t know about it, we can’t fix it

In a city with a population of more than four million people and more than 11 000 km of water pipeline and roads, it would be near impossible for the City of Cape Town to know about every single new pothole, leak, vandalised park equipment, stolen manhole cover, illegal electricity connection or hazardous tree.

It is for this reason that the partnership we have with our residents is so important.

Residents are our eyes and ears on the ground and it helps tremendously when theft, vandalism, damage or other potentially problematic issues relating to the City’s property and infrastructure is reported before it leads to greater damage or loss.

We especially urge residents to report potholes on the road surface and uncovered manholes as, in our experience, the most common and unfortunate incidents of loss or damage being claimed for are as a result of these unreported cases.

Any vandalism of City infrastructure, including to electrical substations, overhead cables, illegal electrical and water connections and damage to outdoor play park furniture, should be reported as it can have detrimental effects on the surrounding community if everyone turns a blind eye or thinks that the next person will probably report it.

Reports of trees located in public areas or on sidewalks which members of the public identify to be potentially problematic or which require trimming, are welcomed.

Residents are also urged to report any water leaks or pipe bursts immediately to minimize water losses.

Residents can call the City on 0860 103 089 or send an SMS to 31373 or a WhatsApp to 063 407 3699 for water and sewage matters. For electricity matters residents may also send an SMS to 31220. Residents can also report potholes to the Transport Information Centre on 0800 65 64 63 which is available 24/7.

The City also encourages you to log your own service request on our e-Services portal on the City’s

Please give the exact location of what is being reported if possible, for example providing the street name and closest corner will make it easier to respond timeously.Residents must insist on a reference number as proof of the case being reported and so that progress can be tracked.