With the 2017 matric examinations a thing of the past, Basic Education Minister, Angie Motshekga, has urged those who did not achieve good results to not despair.
Speaking at a packed Langa High School Hall, on Friday February 9, during the launch of the Matric Second Chance Programme, Ms Motshekga said those who failed matric last year and in previous years still had a chance to get their National Senior Certificate (NSC).
She pleaded with parents to encourage their children to rewrite matric to get their qualification.
Ms Motshekga said the aim of the programme was to provide support to pupils who have not been able to meet NSC requirements or the extended Senior Certificate (SC).
It has also been designed to help those who need to improve their matric marks for further studies; those who have opted to write the NSC examinations on a part-time basis; or those who are full-time candidates who just need additional revision and examination preparation tools.
“We know that people have their problems.
They have disturbances in life. Some could not prepare very well because they had children. And that took them off the road. But we have a simple way to help them.
We thought let us give them a chance to at least finish their matric.
“This is an opportunity that people must use,” she said.
Ms Motshekga said her department is conducting roadshows. “We want those who failed to come forward and register to rewrite their examinations.
“We want this programme to go forward, but we need to hear people’s views too.
“We have been to other provinces and we are scoring good results.
“In the Free State we have a case where one boy passed with distinctions from this programme. This is what we want. We want parents to encourage and motivate their children to be part of this,” she said.
Dr Mamiki Maboya, deputy director-general for Curriculum Policy, Support and Monitoring at the Department of Basic Education, said the government is trying to take access to education to everyone.
“We are giving support so that you will be well equipped.
“Those who failed or want to improve your results, this is a chance to do so. We are preparing for those of you who are sitting at home so that you have access to education,” she said.
She said the programme will also be digital so people could use mobile phones to register.
She urged everyone to get their matric. She said the exams are in March, June and December.
The programme came as a relief to those who had been sitting at home with their matric certificate.
Lebelo Seati, who has been at home for a year, said it was his chance to prove his worth and get an education.
“This is a lifetime opportunity. I need to grab it with both hands. Now is my chance to do that,” he said.