Gugs housing delay frustrates residents

Gugulethu residents march to Fezeka municipal offices to enquire about their houses.

Houses on plot 8448 in Gugulethu, which had not been completed a year after their construction was sanctioned, today are causing an uproar.

Despite the R95 million project having been given the go-ahead in March last year, work on the site has not yet been completed, prompting frustrated residents to take to the street in protest.

On Wednesday July 15, and again this week on Tuesday July 21, the angry residents marched to the Sub-council 14 office at the Fezeka municipal building to demand action.

Currently the structures have no roofs, doors or windows and the beneficiaries say work was halted without their knowledge.

Local committee member and Gugulethu resident Marc Mateba, said the main grievance was related to promises made regarding houses and the meeting with the Sub-council 14 management which never materialised.

“We heard that the contractor left, why, we do not know. These are our houses. We have every right to know.

“The City of Cape Town is quiet. We do not know what is happening. There is no decency from our sub-council to tell what is happening. That is the reason we are here,” he said, threatening less peaceful action in future if they were not given answers soon

Thembinksoi Mjuza added that residents had been promised that the housing project would bring change, jobs and training to the people of Gugulethu.

“People have been waiting for years now for houses. Some died while waiting and some are getting older and older but are still staying with their parents. We cannot allow that to happen on our watch,” he said.

Malusi Booi, Mayco member for human settlements, said the Gugulethu development was a “complex” project which involved three different contractors. He said two of the three contractors appointed delayed the submission of their contract documents, hence they couldn’t take possession of the site on time. However, said Mr Booi, all the three contractors were currently on site and aimed to complete the project in November next year, taking into consideration the impact of Covid-19 regulations and delays which were unavoidable. “The project will accommodate 571 families at a cost of R95 million, which includes bulk electrification and sidewalks.

“Our office had meetings with local organisations and with the Sub-council 14 manager’s office recently and will have another meeting next week with all the stakeholders to address their concerns and project progress,” he said.

Previous articleMissing teen
Next article‘Embrace your scars’
SHARE