Zibele Mjila who lost his wife and three children in a raging fire in Philippi last Monday says it has not yet sunk in that his loved ones were no longer alive.
Mr Mjila said he last saw his family when he left for work on Monday.
The bodies of his partner, Nomsa Dyantyi , 8 year-old daughter Neliswa Dyantyi, and 10-year-old son Vuyani Dyantyi were recovered the same night, while Aphelele Dyantyi, 4, was found the following day.
Mr Mjila said his eldest daughter, 14-year-old Thembela Dyantyi had been watching TV at a neighbours house and therefore escaped the fate of the rest of his family.
A visibly shaken Mr Mjila said he did not know how or when he would afford to bury them.
“How will I rebuild my life from now on?” said the heartbroken Mr Mjila.
“How will I survive without my family? I have no idea what might have caused the fire. No one called to inform me about the fire.
“I got back from work (and) i just saw my double shack engulfed by fire and it had already collapsed,” he said.
Mr Mjila said the bodies would only be released after DNA tests had been completed.
Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Theo Layne said they responded to the fire at 9.18pm and that four informal structures had been destroyed in the blaze.
“Two male minors and one female minor sustained fatal burns, including an adult “ he said.
Mr said Layne said the cause of the fire was still being investigated and that 20 people had been left homeless because of the fire.