The Cape Chamber Music Collective is presenting two programmes for different ensembles until Sunday December 18 at various venues.
The first is a programme of works for piano trio by Haydn, Debussy, Suk and Piazzolla, and then a programme of chamber music for string sextet by Brahms and Tchaikovsky.
The piano trios will be performed by Francois du Toit, Farida Bacharova and Graham du Plessis, all lecturers at the SA College of Music at UCT.
Haydn’s Piano Trio No. 39 in G Major (Gypsy) contains one of Haydn’s best known movements, the Rondo all’Ongarese (Gypsy Rondo). The Piano Trio by Claude Debussy, also in G Major, is a youthful work written when Debussy was 18 years old. The work is written in the French Salon Style.
Summer from Astor Piazzolla’s The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires, is inspired by Vivaldi’s famous work. Originally scored for a quintet, it is presented here in an arrangement for piano trio. The programme is rounded off with Josef Suk’s Elegie Op. 23, which was written for a memorial to Julius Zeyer, Bohemian novelist.
The string sextet programme includes Brahms’ String Sextet No.1 in B-flat major Op. 18 and Tchaikovsky’s String Sextet in D minor, Souvenir de Florence Op. 70. The sextet comprises Jordan Brooks on violin, winner of the National Youth Music Competition 2019 and recent soloist with Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO), with the CPO providing the remaining members of the sextet – Pieter Joubert on violin; Petrus Coetzee and Azra Isaacs on viola; and Eddie McLean and Dane Coetzee on cello.
- Piano Trio on Monday December 12 at Curro Durbanville Primary School, 1 Memento Drive, Sonstraal Heights, Durbanville, at 7pm. Tickets are R150, including a free glass of wine.
- Piano Trio on Wednesday December 14 at No 6 Spin Street, at 6pm. Tickets are R150 including a glass of wine.
- String Sextet on Wednesday December 14 at No 6 Spin Street, at 7.30pm. Tickets are R220 including canapés and wine.
- Piano Trio on Thursday December 15 at Erin Hall, 8 Erin Road, Rondebosch, at 7pm. Tickets are R150, including a free glass of wine. Student tickets are available at the door for R75.
- String Sextet on Friday December 16 at Erin Hall, 8 Erin Road, Rondebosch, at 7pm. Tickets are R150, including a glass of wine. Student tickets are available at the door for R75. Book through Quicket.